originally part of the Boomanoomana Station (settled in 1850's).
in the 1920's and local materials were used in its construction. With
its high ceiling old world rooms, spaciousness and extensive gardens,
Langi Oonah retains the atmosphere of the Federation Age. Wool and
wheat were the main products grown and paddle steamers made it up to
the Station to collect the produce to take back to the cities.
With the numbers of families employed,
house was constructed. Teachers were usually boarded locally.
Apparently the "lady" teachers found the situation "pretty tough" - the
children not always anxious to learn.
Cobb & Co coaches passed
Oonah and a resting station was created on the top of the hill at the
back of the house. Fresh teams of horses were provided and the new team
galloped on to Boomanoomana and then onto Mulwala.
It is believed that in times of severe
in places, one could walk across the Murray River as it receded into a
series of deep water holes. At one stage the Murray River Redgums and
Murray Pines were used to construct houses and sheds, and also to to
make sleepers for the railway tracks.